Annual School Budget Vote & Election
The Westhampton Beach School District will be holding its Annual Budget Vote and Board of Education Election on Tuesday, May 17, 2022. On that day, the voters of the school district will vote on the 2022-2023 school district budget proposal and candidates for the Board of Education.
BOARD OF EDUCATION - CANDIDATE INFORMATION
The Westhampton Beach UFSD Board of Education consists of seven members. Candidates running for office do not run for a specific seat, but rather all vacant seats are elected “at large” meaning that each nominee is eligible for every vacancy, rather than only for a specific seat. Two (2) seats will be available on this year’s ballot, each for a term of three years commencing July 1, 2023 and expiring June 30, 2026.
The qualifications of a member of the Board of Education are that the individual:
- must be able to read and write;
- must be a qualified voter of the district; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be an incompetent; (Note: a convicted felon is barred from running for a seat on a board of education if his or her maximum prison sentence has not expired or if he or she has not been pardoned or discharged from parole)
- must be and have been a resident of the school district for at least one year prior to election;
- may not have been removed from any school district office within the preceding year;
- may not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family;
- may not be a current employee of the school district; and
- may not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
Nominating petitions may be obtained from the Office of the District Clerk by calling and making an appointment with Judy Iannone, the District Clerk, at 631-288-3800 x241. The petition must state the name and residence of the candidate on each page and must be signed by at least twenty-five (25) qualified voters of the District along with the printed name and residence address of each signer.
All completed nominating petitions must be received in the office of the District Clerk located at 340 Mill Road, Westhampton Beach, New York, no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 17, 2023. No petitions can be accepted after this deadline.
Candidates will be required to file financial disclosure forms regarding their campaign, which will be provided by the District Clerk.
A qualified voter is:
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years of age
- A primary resident of the Westhampton Beach UFSD for at least 30 days prior to the election, with such school district domicile address being the sole address utilized for the purposes of voting in any local, state, or national election
- Is not otherwise prohibited from voting under the provisions of section 5-106 of the Election Law
Absentee Ballots will be issued upon the satisfactory completion and submission of an application form. Absentee Ballot Application forms may be obtained from Judy Iannone, the District Clerk, by calling her at 631-288-3800 x241 or by clicking the following links:
The deadline for filing an Absentee Ballot Application, if the ballot is to be mailed to the resident, is Tuesday, May 9, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. The deadline for filing an Absentee Ballot Application, if the ballot is to be personally delivered to the resident, is Monday, May 15, 2023 at 4:00 p.m. Absentee Ballots may be issued to third parties representing the voter provided the third party is identified on the Absentee Ballot Application and is able to provide proper identification when picking up the ballot from the Office of the District Clerk. All completed Absentee Ballots must be filed in the Office of the District Clerk by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 16, 2023 (the day of the vote) in order to be counted.
Military Ballot Applications may be obtained from the Office of the District Clerk and submitted to the District Clerk, by mail, no later than Thursday, April 20, 2023. Military Ballots will be mailed out no later than Friday, April 21, 2023 and must be filed with the District Clerk by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 16, 2023.